Today marks the 50th anniversary of Earth Day, an event celebrated around the world to demonstrate support for environmental protection. This year, as we celebrate Earth Day’s golden anniversary, we are reminded of the importance of creating a happy, healthy planet for all. That’s why we’ve put together a collection of Mother Nature-inspired activities that you and your family can do around the home while practicing COVID-19 CDC guidelines.
At Southern Company Gas, we invite you to join us in celebrating our planet and showing nature some love. Let’s unplug, dig in and have some fun. Happy Earth Day, everyone!
1. Let’s Plant. Enhance your outdoor space by planting flowers, shrubs or a tree. Always remember: call 811 before you dig. It lets us know you’ll be digging, so we can make sure your utility lines are identified.
Teach your children about safe digging with our Safety Arcade. It’s a fun, interactive activity that teaches kids how to stay safe when digging around the home.
2. Dirt Rich. We all know the importance of recycling, but have you ever thought about reusing your waste at home? Backyard compost is a great way to minimize what you throw away and create mineral-rich soil from organic material. Your garden will thank you!
Here are some great tips on how to get started:
3. Planet Yum. Every celebration deserves a yummy treat. For this Earth Day, get creative in the kitchen with some delicious Mother Earth-inspired sweets. These fun recipes are sure to bring a smile to anyone’s face:
4. Get Crafty. Looking for something fun to do around the house? Get crafty with nature. Inspire your Lil Picasso with one of these creative arts and crafts ideas for Earth Day:
5. For the Birds. This Earth Day, take a break from your busy day and observe the natural world around you. Whether in a nearby park or right in your own backyard, find a quiet place to sit and observe the birds in your neighborhood. It’s a great stress reliever, and a wonderful way to learn about the species of your region.
Here’s a helpful resource to get started: Audubon: Joy of Birds.
6. Read Alouds. After a long day of activities, there’s nothing better than a little quiet family time. And this collection of virtual Earth Day read alouds is the perfect way to end a day of celebration. Dim the lights, cuddle up and simply press play!